Friday, November 13, 2009

#8 - Final Reflection

In the twinkling of an eye, we have come to the end of this module ES2007S. Working on this module has been a tough yet fruitful process for me. To be honest, I was quite reluctant to take this module in the first place (actually I have mentioned this in the first lesson if you can still remember :p) for fear of having to speak up. But I have to say, I have indeed learned a lot of useful skills and knowledge which have enhanced my interpersonal relations as well as my personal development.

Being an extremely reserved person, I face much difficulty in interacting and communicating with others. Nevertheless, this module has trained me to voice out my opinion and to work with people whom I am not familiar with (and become familiar with them!). I was a little apprehensive initially, but through the repeated practices, I have become more comfortable with speaking out and more open to people.

I used to have the jitters whenever I need to deliver a presentation, but this module has prepared me to become more adequate in this area. Not that I can overcome my nervousness now, but having a better idea of how I should carry myself and more practices have given me more confidence. With these skills, I can hide some of my anxiety and at least “pretend” to be professional even if I am not up to standard yet. I believe long-term practices would be necessary for one to develop into a professional speaker, so meanwhile just let me pretend to be one first!

“Communication works for those who work at it.” – John Powell


Honing one's communication skills requires conscientious and continuous effort, and I strongly believe in this now that I have experienced it. Practice can really make perfect, so let us be on our way to becoming a professional communicator!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Chai Yee,

    I agree with you that this module's workload is rather demanding for an elective but I guess "No pain no gain".

    This module is indeed effective in helping some of us to step out of our comfort zone and train us to speak up to share our opinions on various issues. This is unlike other modules where we sit back, relax and passively wait for the tutors to give us the relevant input. Through this process, we have acquired better communication skills, isnt it?

    I like the quote which you used towards the end of your blog entry. I think it is apt and effective in bringing your point across.

    Regards,
    Xin Wei

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chai Yee,

    I truly have to take my hats off you for that commendable transformation you've gone thru. From being an extremely reserved person to one who is able to delivery quality presentation, i believe you've made great process as you develop your interpersonal and intrapersonall skills through the course of the module.

    Quote from Dr. James G. Bilkey, "You never will be the person you can be if pressure, tension and discipline are taken out of your life." I suppose all the pressures from the "blogging + proposal-writing = heavy workload of this module" has most probably changed you as a person and i hope this progression carries on. Communication itself is a very tricky skills which requires alot of experience and practice. Even for me,i have to go through many demoralizing debating show-downs and unpleasant presentation experiences before i'm ready to take on any kind of presentation work. All in all, it was a good experience for most of us who took this module and i hope we all share this sentiment together as classmates!

    Last but not least, i would like to thank you for all the constructive feedbacks and comments you've given me so far over the past few months. Learning is an indeed life-long journey and i'm glad blogmates such yourself and many others are there to help each other strive for the better! Cheers to that!

    Regards,
    Ariff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Chai Yee,

    I share alot of similiar sentiment with you. I was a reserved person as well. Like your self, i too have learnt to be more expressive and breakout from the reserved personality. I am glad that both of us have benefited similarly.I too would put up the 'work in progress' sign as there is lots for me to learn.

    Adding on to what Ariff has said, 'pressure makes the difference between charcoal and diamond' i am glad we are seeing the benefits as early.We should keep working! All the very best!

    Lets strive to be an effective communicator together!Lastly i would like to thank you for all your constructive feedbacks and comments!

    regards
    Alagu:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello ChaiYee,

    As your team mates of TEAM SH.O.O.T, I can witness the change you underwent. I remembered the first day when i worked with you for our proposal, you were quite reserved and introvert. However, after going through the demanding days of rushing for our proposal and oral presentation, you managed to voice out effectively and allow our team to understand you better. i agree that we definitely must practise what we have learnt now in order to be perfect and put what we learnt to good use. Hope you will not regret about taking this module after what you have gained and all the best for your final step in undergraduate studies.

    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chai Yee,

    I believe you have experienced the wonderful phenomenon of “Metamorphosis”. You started the course as a shy and reserved “caterpillar” but emerged at the end of the course a vibrant and colourful “butterfly”.

    I believe that it must be tough to emerge from your “cocoon” as you mentioned that you are a reserved person by nature. However it is very commendable of you to get out of your comfort zone and choose to engage others by taking this course. I feel that it is very brave of you to do that. I firmly believe that this courage will serve you well in your future endeavours.

    Press on my friend and all the best for your papers.

    Warmest regards,
    Zhengyang.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Xin Wei, Ariff, Alagu, Gail and Zhengyang,

    Thank you for your comments and encouragements! It has indeed been a difficult time for me, but I appreciate the transformations I have undergone. Like what Ariff and Alagu mentioned, I would not have become what I am today if not for the pressure from the blogging and proposal etc. I have worked beyond what I thought was my limit through all the pushing, and realize that my ability has not been utilized to the maximum yet. As Ariff said, communication is a tricky skill which requires a lot of experiences and practices. Hence, we should uncover more of our ability and continue to strive to improve our communication skills.

    Last but not least, I would like to thank all of you for the constructive comments in my blog! All the best to everyone!

    Cheers,
    Chai Yee

    ReplyDelete