Sunday, September 13, 2009

#4 - Personal Statement/Biodata

My name is Goh Chai Yee and I am currently an undergraduate in my fourth year, majoring in chemistry at the National University of Singapore. I completed my secondary education at River Valley High School and my college education at Jurong Junior College.

I chose to major in chemistry because of my passion for the subject, which grew since I was in secondary school. Having a strong sense of curiosity, I enjoy the thrills I get whenever I learn about a reaction or perform an experiment and make new discoveries. And the most fascinating part about chemistry is allowing me to understand phenomena in the world and apply my knowledge in real-life situations. I welcome any opportunity for me to put my curiosity and knowledge to use.

Besides Chemistry, another thing which I am passionate about is music. This led me to take up choir as my co-curricular activity in both secondary school and junior college. Being in a choir not only satisfied my desire to sing, it also trained me to be a team player, because coordination among all the singing parts and the members is fundamental for a song to sound good. I have learnt to be observant of my peers and act in accordance with them, which has certainly helped to hone my interpersonal skills and improve my ability to work with others.

Being a perfectionist, I always strive to perform to the best of my ability in whatever I do, including chemistry and singing. Therefore, I hope that the effort I have put in would keep my passion burning and enable me to excel one day.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Chai Yee,

    I must totally agree with you on how chemistry is able to relate its use to real life situation. But what i feel is that your 3rd para can be made more concise. overall, you clearly state your goals in life by perfecting things that you do in order to succeed. All the best to you.

    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chia yee,

    I particularly like your final paragraph where it really drives home the point about your passion and the qualities that you possess. A fitting ending to a concise and effective personal statement. Wish you all the best and hope you will excel in your future endeavours.

    Cheers,
    Zhengyang.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gail and Zhengyang,

    Thanks for your comments! Yes Gail I agree with you that my third paragraph is a little lengthy and I will edit to make it more concise. Conciseness is very important in any piece of work to make the point clear to readers as soon as possible and to attract them to read on.

    Anyway, all the best to both of you in your future endeavours too!

    Cheers,
    Chai Yee

    ReplyDelete